Since this is my first official blog post on my very own design site OBX Interiors, I figured the best topic to discuss is why I absolutely love what I do. I am an Interior Designer! I get to help people create a home. I get to work with all of the facets or elements we choose to have around us and that tell a story about our lives or showcase our personality. While I’m not saving lives and I’m thankful that when I screw up nobody dies. What’s not to love?
- I get to meet wonderful people who entrust me with various task from creating a home or an escape… for some, it’s both. Often customers become close friends who stay in touch for years and years.
- It’s an exciting time to be an Interior Designer or Decorator. There are numerous examples of designers reaching celebrity status thanks to HGTV, The DIY Network, and the numerous print magazines. Not that I want that… but my own furniture line would be a dream come true.
- I get to shop for furniture and home accessories! I mean come on… I was born for that.
- I get to work with color. As an Artist/Designer, I just adore colors and experimenting with it in various textures, patterns, and shapes in order to execute my designs.
- You know you’re a designer when… As a child, I loved the doll house and it’s furniture over pretend play with the dolls.
Granted no job is without some flaws. Here are a few Pet Peeves I’m sure I share with fellow Interior Designers.
- Don’t call me decorator. It’s like a slap in the face every time I hear it. I graduated college with a degree in Interior Design and have the debt to prove it. Respect graduates and fellow NCIDQ certificate holders with the title they worked so hard for.
- Don’t call me sales girl…. Oh lord… hold me back!
- “Hey Asia, can you help me pick out paint colors? You charge for that?” Sorry folks, mama always said don’t give away the goods. My talents are mine and I have to make a living too.
- Furniture Delays.
- Discontinued Fabrics. Please Start again….
- The fact that I don’t have a magic wand or other Bewitching Powers to move furniture around.
haha! Gets me every time!